We have been serving youth and their families since 1910. We were established under the auspices of the Episcopal Church of Wyoming, beginning as an orphanage, a refuge for homeless and dependent children.
Bishop Nathaniel Thomas's house in Cathedral Square of the Episcopal Church in Laramie, WY, is where we began our orphanage in 1910. When a widower came to the Bishop with his four children he felt he could no longer care for, the Cathedral Home for Children was founded.
Sherwood Hall (renamed to Hunter Hall in 1975) is where the orphanage was moved to after St. Joseph's Hospital. It is located in the Episcopal Church of Laramie, WY.
Here is the Old St. Joseph's Hospital. Cathedral Home moved here in 1920 after purchasing it from the Catholic Church. Funds from Edward and Jane Ivinson were used to renovate this building.
Cathedral Home for Children moved to the countryside in 1973. At this time, the name was changed to W.Y.O. Place (Wyoming Youth Outreach Place). The first cottage housed both North and South Cottages, and was built in 1973.
Today, the former North and South Cottage is now known as the Biegert Administration Building. With much thanks to Jeff and Sally Biegert, we were able to renovate this lovely building to house administrative staff, board, group, and conference rooms.
In 1991, our Children's Chapel was established. Newell and Vera Sargent were instrumental in funding the Universal Children's Chapel and the four cottages to follow on our beautiful campus. Newell Sargent even helped design the stained-glass window of our Chapel.
ELLIOT HAYS MEDICAL CENTER & MAE OLSON EDUCATION CENTER
Previously, children of the Home attended school in a small modular on our campus, which is now the Hays Health Care Center.
To accommodate the growing population, the Mae Olson Education Center was built in 1993.
In 2002, a Deaf and hard of hearing wing was added to this building as a donation from Jack and Patricia Guthrie.
Sargent Cottage for boys was built in 1994. Pictured above is Newell and Vera Sargent cutting the ribbon in celebration of the opening of this cottage.
Brush Cottage for girls, as shown in these pictures, was established in 1996. This cottage was named after Newell Sargent's mother.
Osborne Cottage for boys, as pictured above, was established in 1998. The cottage was named after Newell Sargent's first wife.
Newell cottage for boys is our second cottage for the Deaf and hard of hearing youth (with hearing youth intermixed) and was built in 2006.
HARVEY COTTAGE, BIEGERT COTTAGE, & COMMUNITY PROGRAMS BUILDING
In 2005, the Harvey House was donated to CHC by Dann and Mardi Harvey to be used as a girls’ transitional home housing up to 5 youth. Today (2018) we are no longer utilizing the space as a transition home for girls due to needs shifting within the community.
The Biegert House was then donated in 2006 by Jeff and Sally Biegert to be used as a transitional home for boys. Today (2017), it houses Cathedral Home's Extended Families Program and provides adequate meeting and office space for youth and families of the community.
CARBON COUNTY YOUTH CRISIS CENTER
The Carbon County Youth Crisis Center (CCYCC), located in Rawlins, WY, was built in 2013 and became fully operational in 2014. Cathedral Home took on CCYCC at the request of the Carbon County Department of Family Services.
EZRA NICHOLS INDOOR HORSE ARENA
The Ezra Nichols Arena was complete at the end of 2015. It provides shelter for the horses during harsh winter months, and it has helped us utilize our Equine Assisted Psychotherapy program throughout the year.